Hospiscare@Home is an extension of the Clinical Nurse Specialist service which we already provide. It offers hands-on nursing care in your own home when required at any time, day or night, supporting adult patients with life-limiting illnesses who wish to remain at home at the end of their lives.
The Hospiscare@Home Team are employed by Hospiscare (Exeter, Mid and East Devon) and respond to the needs of the local community to bring the expertise of the hospice into your home.
The service aims to:
- Give you access to end of life nursing expertise, advice and care in your own home.
- Provide advice 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Help you avoid unnecessary hospital admissions or stays. Our expert team provides support so you can remain at home at the end of your life if this is your wish.
- Fill the gap between acute hospital care and the care offered by other support agencies.
- Respect your privacy and treasured time with family and friends. The nurses don’t overstay their welcome; they will stay for a while when you need assistance with symptom control and to ensure you are ok.
How do we care for you?
There is a Hospiscare@Home nurse on duty during the day between the hours of 8am and 10pm. At night, calls are answered by Hospiscare’s Inpatient Unit at Searle House in Exeter. Help and advice is given over the phone and the Hospiscare@Home nurse on duty will always visit if required.
You might need our help if....
- You have a life-limiting illness, are in the final months or weeks of life and would like to remain at home until you die, and you need hands-on, supportive nursing care to make this happen.
How you can access the service?
A doctor, nurse or other health care professional who knows you well must complete a Hospiscare referral form, which can be obtained from the clinical administration team based in Exeter, contact no. 01392 688024. This is passed onto the local team to assess and they will make contact with you.